What Should I Do If My Ex Falsely Accuses Me of Child Abuse? 

 Posted on December 23, 2021 in Divorce Issues

divorce lawyerIn a perfect world, divorce proceedings and child custody arrangements would be smooth-sailing. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Sometimes, one party will even falsely accuse the other party of child abuse to gain some type of advantage in the divorce. 

If you are wrongfully accused of child abuse by your ex, take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. According to some studies, approximately 6% to 35% of child abuse claims are unfounded. 

Should you find yourself falsely accused of child abuse, there are a few things you should know about responding to inaccurate child abuse claims. We will share with you 5 ways to respond to a false accusation of child abuse, followed by advice on what not to do as well. 

5 Ways to Respond to a False Accusation of Child Abuse 

If you are unsure about what steps to take after being falsely accused of child abuse, this is a great place to start. 

1. Consult an Attorney Immediately 

Your first plan of action should be to contact a lawyer to get legal advice customized to your particular situation. The attorney you hire will help you determine the next steps. 

2. Do Not Answer Police Questions 

Police may bring you in for questioning. You have the right to refrain from answering any and all questions. Remaining silent will help you avoid saying anything to the police that damages your case.

3. Do Not Respond Reactively to Your Ex

Tensions are often high between the two parties involved in divorces or child custody cases. This is especially true if your ex-partner is falsely accusing you of a serious crime, like child abuse. Do not respond to your ex, as your reaction could add fuel to the fire. 

4. Make Sure You Respect Court Orders 

If there are any protective measures or restraining orders in place between you and your ex-partner or child, respect them. You do not have to agree with them, but failing to uphold court-ordered mandates will be a major disadvantage for you. Violating a restraining order or order of protection is a criminal offense. 

5. Retain Any and All Evidence 

Collect any evidence that your ex is lying. Let your lawyer know if you have witnesses who can attest to the falsity of the child abuse allegations. These details will serve you well as your lawyer can use evidence as part of your defense. 

What Not To Do After Being Falsely Accused of Child Abuse 

Aside from your lawyer, do not speak to anyone who asks for a comment about the child abuse accusations that you are facing. People can use your words against you, so it is best to maintain a low profile and only talk about your case with your lawyer. 

Additionally, refrain from engaging in conversations with your ex. It will not benefit you to discuss the false accusations with your former partner. They have made up their mind about you, and trying to convince them that their accusations are false will be fruitless. Again, maintain composure and only speak to the details of your circumstances with your attorney. 

Contact a Divorce Lawyer Today 

Divorces and child custody cases can be difficult to handle on your own. Being on the receiving end of an ex-partner's false child abuse allegations can be overwhelming, but there are lawyers out there who can help you manuveur these circumstances with confidence. If you have been accused of child abuse and the claims are false, seek legal guidance from a divorce attorney or child custody lawyer as soon as possible. 



Share this post:
  • U.S. Bankruptcy Lawyer Directory
  • Illinois Child Support Calculator
  • Dads Divorce Law
  • Elite Lawyer
  • Illinois Best Legal Websites
  • OVC Chatbox
  • OVC Photography
  • U.S. Personal Injury Lawyer Directory
Back to Top